Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bibliophile

I love books. I love books. I love the actual physicality of a paper book. Which is why this article about the future of hardcover books is so sad for me.



This is just a small stack of books that I have amassed from the sweet bookstore that is associated with my public library. Paperbacks are usually 50 cents and hardcover only 75 cents. And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll find a sweet treasure in the 5 and 10 cent bin.

I honestly can't help myself. I especially love old books. The way they smell, the way they feel, the beautiful letterpressed look of the words. This is, by no means, my entire library of books, just the latest finds. I especially have a thing for Agatha Christie novels.


I had to get this little booklet (it was only 5c) and it's titled "I Can Make You Happy." The words are all hand-calligraphed and interspersed with lovely little sketches. But mostly, I love dedications inside the front covers of books. It adds to the rich history of a book and provides a picture that someone did own this before you. And maybe one day, someone else will own it after me.


And this tumblr, very aptly named book lovers never go to bed alone, has pictures that just kill me. The bookcases are so dreamy. I love getting lost in one of those too small bookshops that is crammed from ceiling to floor, wall to wall with literary treasures.


A little library, growing larger every year, is an honourable part of a man's history. It is a man's duty to have books. A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessaries of life.
- Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment