Sunday, July 3, 2011

King of the (Very Small) Jungle

This little lion was made for my coworker's first baby! This is probably the biggest thing I've made so far. It took just under a month but most of that was due to not knowing how to make the mane without using fun fur yarn like the pattern called for. I love giving handmade gifts :)




The fancy-schmancy packaging. I did try to pretty it up with a little crocheted bow in pretty variegated pastel yarn.


Incidentally, anyone else think it's more difficult to make gifts for boys? My roommate (and coworker) had already started tackling a knitted baby blanket, so I didn't want to make another blanket. Plus, I had a month to work on it before the baby's due date. My roommate had already been diligently at work on the blanket for 6 months.


And, it's almost impossible to find the right pattern for a cute amigurumi that is 1) free 2) not super difficult and 3) not terribly ugly. Besides the fact that my yarn stash has limited colors.


I pretty much narrowed it down to dinosaur or lion when I was choosing which to make, but lion won out because I couldn't find a good dinosaur pattern quickly enough. This one comes courtesy of Lion Brand Yarn.

* One thing I did change on the pattern was the way I worked the mane. I didn't have any fun fur and I could not, for the life of me, understand what the pattern was trying to tell me how to attach the fur to the head. I ended up attaching the yarn by slip stitching into the stitches of the head and adding chains to make a long loop and slip stitching back down into the head. I covered the head like this which gave it a kind of funny Rastafarian/dreadlock look, but I couldn't think of a better way to make his fur?

I do like how he turned out in the end though.
P.S. I hate not having internet at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment