Sunday, February 10, 2013

Speckled Squid

I made another Voodoo Maggie pattern lately (I made the Yeti earlier), and it turned out pretty cute even though I may have cheated the pattern a little bit.  I tried to make this guy out of the small remainder of a weird skein of speckled off-white yarn that I used to make a hippo out of.  Unfortunately, I realized almost at the end of the head that I wasn't going to be able to finish the pattern with the yarn that I had left.  I ended up leaving out the last round of increases and SC across to try and leave at least a little yarn for the longer tentacles.  And I almost made it.  The second tentacle is half speckled-half white.  And since I'm a rebel and didn't do the cap in a contrast color (as the book advises you do), I had to add a little trim of white single crochets in order to tie it together with the little white tentacles.

All right, one for the not-a-total-disaster column!

DPP_0201

Whoops! Please ignore the wrinkled fabric I used for my backdrop :) And the graininess - still learning!  I'm trying to figure out good ways to light things while shooting at night, since I can't ever seem to find a time to shoot pictures when the sun is actually out.

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great! Cute little guy! Nice way to save the day when you didn't have enough yarn and if you hadn't mentioned it I would have thought you just planned it this way!

    ReplyDelete