Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Vite Cowl

My first finished KNIT object!

I've been looking for the perfect knitted scarf pattern, and even though I had to learn like 6(!) new stitches to make this cowl the first time, it comes together so easily and beautifully.  There's enough interesting texture to the pattern without using cables, which I don't have the ability or equipment to do.  This is the Vite Cowl by Kristi Johnson, and I was so enamored with the lovely teal cowl made in the example that I had to make one (or two).

This fuschia one is made out of one skein of Loops & Threads Charisma yarn.  The yarn is wonderfully soft and fluffy for being 100% acrylic.  I didn't bother to block it since I don't have blocking pins and mats and things, and I've been told that acrylic doesn't take to blocking well.  I made it on some huge circular needles so it was very loose which made it actually long and stretchy enough to use just one skein for the cowl.

Can you see the lovely leaf pattern?
DPP_0202

I actually also made a second one of these in this beautiful mossy green 50% wool from the Lion Brand Cozy Wool line - I used about 1 and a half skeins.  I made it for my friend for her birthday way back in November (and actually got it to her on time!).  I was tempted to pick out some yellow shade of yarn, her favorite color, for this scarf, but I love a good green with gorgeous strawberry blonde hair.

Funny story, I'm like the world's worst gifter.  I usually promise to make things for some gift-giving occasion but then fail to produce the thing until 3-6 months later.  For this scarf, I was supposed to meet up with my friend for lunch, and I was seaming the ends together and weaving in tails when I was supposed to be leaving!  Of course, this means that I failed to get a single picture of that lovely cowl :(

No comments:

Post a Comment